Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Too Young to be a Junior

This past summer I have realized that I'm growing up fast. I will be in my 3rd year of high school this year and it feels like I just started high school. I've also realized that I need to take responsibility for a lot of the things I do or want. I need to get a job. Most of my summer I've applied places and then I just stopped applying because I didn't want to give up my summer. That was a bad choice.

My 17Th birthday is coming up faster than expected and I'm dreading it. I'm sure my mother is too. I guess I wasn't really sure of what would happen while growing into a young adult. Now I know. I have to work hard in school. I have to get a job. I have to look for colleges. I have to take care of myself. Although I am nervous about my life after high school, my mother has done an excellent job of raising me on her own for almost 17 years. And on her own she taught me the values of life whether she spoke it or I observed it.

I will admit that I am afraid of growing up.
A lot has happened to me in my 16 years. I don't look at them as being bad things I look at them as being life lessons. Duane was an addict and I know what its like to be on the other side. I believe he was in my life for that reason. He taught me what it's like to go through this stuff. And while I was never doing drugs, I know what the effects are on your body, your mind, and your family. I have promised my self I will never do drugs or ever get involved with anyone who does. My dad left me when I was born and has been in and out of my life for 16 years. He's not in my siblings lives either. I'm still struggling with that but it has made me a stronger person. I realize that everyone makes mistakes and sometimes the people who care the most have to pay for it.

I have a good head on my shoulders and I intend to do the best I can and nothing short of it.

5 comments:

Kim said...

YOU GO GIRL! I'm rooting for you Heather:)

Anonymous said...

Heather, you are so awesome.
Love you-
Robin

Amy said...

Heather your mom shared your blog entry with me and I was so impressed! For a young woman so scared to grow up you show tremendous maturity! I hope your Junior year is full of excitement..and lots of success! Don't let the scary parts of life stop you from trying new things and have a blast!

Heather said...

Thank you Amy!

And thank you auntie kim and auntie robin♥

Anonymous said...

While I dread the thought that you are almost an adult & you're not even my daughter, I look forward to seeing the young woman that you are about to become! Remember you always have a choice even when it doesn't feel like it. Never forget the promises you have made to yourself. Best of luck in your Jr. year & let me know if you need any help with, primarily but no limited to, schoolwork.